Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My handwriting

I was enrolled in an English Medium School till my 2nd std, where we wrote in what is called disjointed handwriting. In my 3rd std we shifted to a new locality where I joined a Convent School. Here by 3rd std the students had already been taught to write in jointed or running or cursive handwriting. I remember my class teacher freaking out after she saw my note book; it probably resembled that of a Junior Kg kid. This was made into a great issue with my parents being called in the very next day. I guess I stood there mutely staring at them fussing over the way I wrote. After this meeting with Miss Daisy (yeah Miss Daisy with her flowery blouses and matching skirts, and a gold tooth at the back of her mouth), Mom started a campaign to teach me to write in cursive handwriting before the rapidly approaching 1st Unit Test. And this is how I learnt to write in cursive form.



Now cut-to my early Senior College days. I realised that most of my teachers and classmates hailed from vernacular meduim and had trouble reading what I wrote. Or to be more precise, not 'what' I wrote but 'how' i wrote it. Realising this may result in me loosing my marks in my BSc finals, I decided to change my handwriting. The transition was not as bad or cumbersome as you might think. It worked very well and soon my handwriting was legible to one and all.


A 3 month hiatus passed before my MSc course commenced. And to my utter surprise I caught myself writing in my cursive handwriting again in the middle of the lecture. Old habits die hard. So I tried going back to my disjointed form during the same lecture. But as I said, old habits die hard.

And now my handwriting is disjointed with sporadic bursts of jointed thrown in. It looks horrid! Urghh!! Help!!

5 comments:

MadSid said...

hehe..nice job..an interesting topic to write on..very unconventional!!

my handwriting used to suck, currently also sucks and will always suck!!hehe!!

Unknown said...

well, graphologists believe that your handwriting is a mirror of your inner self.... so what does yours reflect now? confusion? insecurity? comfort level? good, good, do some psychoanalysis and write another blog entry on that!

MadSid said...

graphology was a psychological test prevalent in only two nations and did not have much of a strong base...

Yashada said...

hmm, madsid, anupamaa happens to be an (amateur?)graphologist...

MadSid said...

hmm..cld be i am wrong..just stating what i learnt in psychology