Saturday, August 18, 2007

On my way home from the local market the other day i heard someone call out my name.When I turned to look, a pretty-faced girl with a demin knee-length skirt and black shirt was smiling widely at me. "Hi yashada!"she seemed simply overjoyed to see me. I on the other hand couldn't even remember who she was.

Well, I knew she was from school as I could picture her in our school uniform and black ribbons tied to her shoulder length plaites. But I couldn't recollect her name, nor which year she was from. And here she was, positively delighted to have bumped into me like this. "Hey how are you? You live in Vinit Tower no? Are you heading home? Chal i'll walk with you...", saying this she actually did an about-turn and started walking with me.

From the brief talk that followed, I discerned that she was one of my juniors. We talked general stuff, 'what do you do now?', 'Are you in touch with anyone else?' etc.

But after a while I could stand it no longer and I asked, "I'm so sorry I can't remember your name."Her smile weakened and I could see that she was hurt as she realised I had not recognised her entirely.

"I am Joy, remember? Well, actually Joylan, but everybody called me Joy."

Yes! I remember!

She was just some girl whom I used to occassionally meet while on my way home from school.
I felt so ashamed that here she was so happy to see me after so many years; she could remember my name, where I lived, which year I was in. And here I was asking her her name...

4 comments:

MadSid said...

hmmm...this is a situation everyone faces some time in life..

it is really sad!

Anonymous said...

old age, babe...!

ZZ said...

hey,
i am rajshekhar, remember?
nice post :P

Yashada said...

who? i dunno...i have no clue who u r :P :P
i do know a zz though :)